Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Blade Runner 15mm Project

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well, it’s 2019 and it seemed like a good time to restart my Blade Runner project.  I only have 2 projects on the go so I should have the time.  I have been recently inspired on the forum to try and run a game of the Department solo.

I actually started this project 4 years ago when I was able to order the incredible Blade Runner pack from the now closed Effigy Miniatures.  I liked Deckard and Bryant, but the actual replicants themselves were a little slim and strange.

After B.R. 2049 I began thinking about restarting, and perhaps using the Department as my rule set.  It definitely needs a bit of tweaking, I especially like the section on investigation .

Now as always I have a limited budget and space.  I’m going to use my 2D Sci Fi rpg tiles to start.  I may invest in some buildings later.

Now for the finished miniatures!

Here is my set of noir investigators.  I did some trading with the Painting Agency for these.  Allison is a wonderful painter.

Deckard and Bryant.  I will probably use them as npcs.

Here are some escaped off colony mining replicants.

Ooooooooooooooooooh

Interesting. There’s a lot of 15mm out there and you could add all sorts of weirdness considering the first movie.

It’s 2019 and we still don’t have hover cars.

Participant

Very cool stuff!

Participant

I found these buildings by JR miniatures today.  They are 10mm but look awesome!

Participant

Nothing is worse than having in itch you can never scratch!

A great project! You know, some of the paper buildings from Dropzone Commander are still available various places and have a decidedly Blade Runnerish vibe. As do the Iliada lasercut buildings – Ali might be convinced to do his 6mm Retrofuturist City at 15mm scale for you.

Participant

Good looking start!  If you need another spinner, got one here called the Outrigger ( https://www.darkeststargames.com/spec-sec-vehicles.html ), and another will soon be released.

What rules will you be using?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I’m going to be using “The Department” by 4 Color Games.

I like your sci-fi cars much better than Khurasan’s, but I had to make quite a large order to get the minis I needed.

Participant

I do love me some The Department!  (as evidenced by my previous excitement over some posts here!)  Can’t wait to see more more more more!

I like your sci-fi cars much better than Khurasan’s, but I had to make quite a large order to get the minis I needed.

I feel ya.  I forget, are you in the UK?

Participant

I’m in Canada.  I really wanted the Noodle Bar from Khurasan.  To save money I ordered their cars as well.  I like your cars a lot better, but maybe next time.

Participant

I do love me some The Department! (as evidenced by my previous excitement over some posts here!) Can’t wait to see more more more more!.?

A somewhat familar sports car pulls up to Ali-Baba’s Kebab shack…
    If you’re looking for buildings then this one from White Dragon Miniatures is good for the crumbling ‘near future’.
    Participant

A somewhat familar sports car pulls up to Ali-Baba’s Kebab shack…

Nice!  Hope nothing gets spilled on the ever-so-sporty pleather seats.  😉

Ya, the White Dragon building is very nice.  Wish they had more variants.  Very “Elysium” to my eyes.

How many cars do you currently have, OldBen1?

Participant

Unfortunately the buildings are going to have to wait.  I’ll need a serious influx of birthday cash.  I’m thinking about either the Jr, miniature buildings (cheaper) or maybe mixing the sci fi blue moon with some of the gangster range as well.  I’ll just add some pipes for “The Yukon”.

I have 2 cars.  I was hoping to do more of a mining outpost board using my sci fi tiles.

Participant

Added some Nexus 6 for the Blade Runners to battle.

Here are some Fabricants.  I am going to treat these as earlier Nexus 2 models.

Participant

I really like that 2nd building, reminds me of a desert themed battlebot video game that died in production.

If you’re looking for inexpensive, you could get some of the laser cut card buildings from Illiada Game Studios.  I have the 15mm outpost set and some 6mm buildings and they really hold up well.  He also has scifi doors and windows and other bits that can easily be applied to anything to make a building, like electrical boxes or old cardboard shiz.

Say, drop me an email (info _@_ darkeststargames _dot_  com), got a batty idea for you!

Participant

Message sent!

Anywhere I can read a review of “The Department”? The name makes it difficult to search for.

Participant

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?334608-Future-Noir-Blade-Runner-amp-The-Department

You have to scroll down quite a bit but there is a ton of info.  It’s a strange game, but seems pretty sound in terms of it’s mechanics.  I am going to midify it for sure.  The main schtick is the goal system.  Characters throw dice and hope to reach a certain number of goals.  This either makes something a stellar success or a miserable failure.  There are quite a few scenarios as well.

Participant

Forgot Micropanzer!!!  If you contact Jason he has a vast array of resin scifi doors, windows, HVAC and doodads too for making custom buildings from whatever.

Participant

Thomaston- also check out the old website:

https://www.departmentoffabricantmanagement.com/sample-of-play.html

Cool project, the Department was a neat game and the minis had lots of character. I was sad to see Ghosts of Hefei fizzle out. I missed the kickstarter, and it never got a commercial release.

Participant

I love this project. If you don’t mind my asking, who makes the Nexus 6 chaps – the bald ones (+mohawks) in overcoats?

Keep up the great work!

Participant

I was sad to see Ghosts of Hefei fizzle out. I missed the kickstarter, and it never got a commercial release.

i was sad to see it not catch on either.  I did the KS for the 15mm minis, and it took so long to deliver I thought it was just plain dead.  The minis are cool, thought shallow on detail as is PF’s style.  And the rules aren’t bad at all.  I like that you can hack various nodes around the tabletop to do things, like move robo-forklifts and the like.  I really do wish they’d get back on the horse, if even just for the love of their own games.

Participant

Here comes the Fuzz!  The department needs some cops to support the Runners.  Not in keeping with the movie police officers, but I figure they look cooler anyways.  Very Robocop.

The Nexus 6ers are from Khurasan.

After re-reading the rules I am going to heavily modify the rules.

-I like the goal system and combat.  I like the character stats as well.

-The huge table with 6 buildings a ton of bystanders is not going to work for my 2D tiles.  I want dark alleyways.

-I want more action.  I will have to change some of the A.I. tables.

-I am going to link the story to the evidence.  I am going to create a rough story where the characters must look for evidence.  Like a choose your own adventure I want the characters to follow the leads and have the evidence drive the story.  Do they find a reliable witness?  Do they come across some financial records?  Do they find a footprint on the carpet?

Now on to scatter terrain.  I have a noodle house to build and paint!

Participant

Who makes the bald guys in the overcoats? Please?

Participant

They are from Khurasan.

Participant

Thank you.

Participant

Working on some scatter terrain.  I was going to save this one for last but it looked too fun!  It’s the snack shack from Khurasan miniatures.

Participant

That noodle shop came out really well.

As I was reading some of your notes on the rules it occurred to me to ask whether you’ve ever taken a look at any of the Two Hour Wargames rules: either Larger Than Life (Pulp) or 5150 (Sci-Fi) might work almost perfectly for this sort of project. The campaign rules are also based on clues, there are plenty of dark alleys possible, and most important, the action seems to be a few ticks above what The Department tends to generate. Though I haven’t seen them, I’ve come across several AARs online that speak of Department campaigns finishing without a shot being fired, which to me sounds rather underwhelming. I suppose it depends what sort of gaming one prefers. Anyway, at the very least you might find some inspiration in THW’s stuff.

May I trouble you to ask who makes the dapper fellow in the spats? And the bald guys in orange jumpsuits? More Khurasan?

Participant

The guy with the hat is from effigy miniatures.  They are no longer selling.  The bald guys are from Brigade models.

Ive only read the zombie rules from THW.  It might be worth a look.  Thank-you.

Participant

Thank you. Just popped by THW’s site to see if I could provide a link, and see that most of their games have been withdrawn – including Larger Than Life, which might be the best fit for Blade Runner-type action. I’m pretty sure Ed, the proprietor, would print up a version for you, or send a pdf, if you ask nicely, or Noble Knight probably has a copy or two floating around. And then I see The Department is out of circulation as well. It’s a shame these games slip through the cracks…

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Participant

Well I ended up buyig 5150 a New Hope.  I really enjoyed all the investigation tables.  I am beginning to think I may have to write out my own set of rules.  The department is too huge for quick games, and there is not enough action.  5150 has some great tables to help direct the clues.

hmmmmmmm.

Participant

Alright, total rule revamp!

I finally got may agents in the mail.  I’m hoping to get the rules done this weekend.  I have an introductory adventure set in 2009.  I’m going to use some older vintage models for the adventure.

Participant

After reworking the rules from “The Department” and “5150” , I started an actual game.  After some rolling and chart analysis, I created my first crime and characters.

The year is 2009.  The Nexus 2 model has made off-world colonization easy and affordable.  Pollution like smog and acid rain have destroyed the local ecosystem in Los Angeles.

Our two detectives, Edger McCourt and Hernri Abdi have been called to  an old the apartment in the middle of the night.  While Abdi is a relatively new detective, McCourt is a seasoned veteran of the homicide division.  Replicant hunter, or Blade Runner is a relatively new position.

One of their own, retired Blade Runner Sheldon Galang, has been murdered.  Galang had a reputation as a crooked cop.   Their Captain, Lou Glencoe is worried about bad press.

There are no signs of a struggle, or forced entry.  After landing on the roof, the detectives make their way to the apartment.

Participant

Oooo…  hurry up and post more!  🙂

Participant

Love the chalk outline !!!

Participant

Oooo… hurry up and post more! 🙂

Yes, do! Largely inspired by your thread and some others here on TWW, I just placed my initial order for figures and rules for my own Blade Runner project. Unlike you I’ll be doing it in 28mm, however.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Participant

Not enough time to really post pictures, but I did some rpging.

My detectives did a search of the apartment and were unable to turn up any evidence.  On the first of two searches I rolled very low on  ‘people evidence’.  They turned their attention to the old lady who lived across the hallway.  She disclosed that the victim was dating a harlot named Tina who worked at a bar downtown.  Sheldon had a lot of visitors, especially at night.

The detectives decided to talk to the building super.  I rolled very high on financial evidence.  The super mentioned that Sheldon was often behind on his rent because he had borrowed a lot of money from local bookkeepers.  Lately  His rent was being paid from an unknown account for the last three months.  His bank records indicate large cash withdrawals as well.  Tomorrow night McCourt And Abdi will visit Tetsuo, the local bar where Tina works.

Participant

Not enough time to really post pictures, but I did some rpging.

My detectives did a search of the apartment and were unable to turn up any evidence.  On the first of two searches I rolled very low on  ‘people evidence’.  They turned their attention to the old lady who lived across the hallway.  She disclosed that the victim was dating a harlot named Tina who worked at a bar called Tetsuo, downtown.  Sheldon had a lot of visitors, especially at night.

The detectives decided to talk to the building super.  I rolled very high on financial evidence.  The super mentioned that Sheldon was often behind on his rent because he had borrowed a lot of money from local bookkeepers.  Lately  His rent was being paid from an unknown account for the last three months.  His bank records indicate large cash withdrawals as well.  Tomorrow night McCourt And Abdi will visit Tetsuo, the local bar where Tina works.

Participant

If you’re so inclined I’d love to know what blend of The Department and 5150 you’ve settled on. For example, are you using the plot devices of 5150 but the combat system from The Department, or vice versa, or have you only used each for inspiration while making your own rules? I’m genuinely interested as I’m getting going on a similar project myself.

Participant

No problem.

I created a list of scenarios the characters must go through to gather evidence.  They can not solve the case unless they gather a certain number of evidence per scenario.  Example, stake-out, interrogation, tailing, interviews.

I am using my own combat system.  I found both the Department and 5150 too complicated.  I streamlined the stats Attack, Defense, Intuition, Wounds, and movement.  Intuition is for noticing clues, hidden objects etc.  I might add to this later.  I have added skills based on the character.  Extra movement or attack bonuses for replicants.

I am using the kinds of evidence from the Department and added  interlinked.  These help drive the story, what kinds of clues did they find, people,electronic, financial, physical? Interlinked is a connection to the character’s earlier backstory.  When rolling for evidence I am going to try and flow with the story.  I guess sometimes a vague roll will result in little evidence.

I have 3 types of evidence.  Obvious, Hidden, and mastery.  Obvious might be I saw a dark shape that looked like a human.  Hidden might be I saw a man with a hat and a can.  He was wearing a navy coat.  Mastery might be I saw my ex boyfriend Carl.

I am using the tables from New Beginnings for the crimes and suspects.  There is a ton of great info here including the 5 Ws.

Here’s how I started.

I already had an idea for a crime as well as some of the characters.  This could probably been determined by the charts from New Beginnings.

Started with the crime:  Sheldon Galang (ex. Blade runner) murdered in his apartment at night.  I made him crooked to explain why he was murdered.

I wrote some backstory for him, as well as some witnesses or suspects.  Busybody neighbors, possibly an ex-girlfriend, maybe blackmail.  I rolled for the apartment and failed my intuition roll, so no evidence collected.  When I rolled for the neighbor I got minor people evidence.  The woman remembers his girlfriend who works at a bar.  I then had the detectives talk to the super of the building.  I rolled hidden/mastery on financial records.  The Super provided some info about someone paying his rent from an unknown account and possibly some debt to book/keepers.  Most of my ideas come from looking at the tables.  What kind of people info could a neighbor supply.? What would the Super know?

Now I’ll have the characters travel to the bar.  They know the girlfriend’s name is Tina.  They will have to go and talk to her.  I think I might include some sort of encounter.  Not sure yet.

I guess it seems very sandboxy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.