Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Do the French ever win Salamanca games?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Salamanca is a fascinating battle with distinctive geometry: a kind of French ‘L’ facing an allied ‘V’ on interior lines. It does seem as though the French are doomed to fail because of their initial extended deployment (well done, Wellington). Or perhaps I’m just whingeing because in our game this week I was on the French side, we were drubbed, and I need excuses! (Battle report here.)

What do other TWWers think and what’s been your experience? How often do the French manage a win?

Participant

I don’t think I have ever played a full dress version of Salamanca. I think I have seen some Salamanca scenarios that look reasonably fair to the French though: a lot depends on the starting conditions. My rule-of-thumb for historical accuracy would be to start the battle just at the moment Packenham begins his attack on Thomieres, which is a pretty nasty set-up for the French, but some scenarios I have seen look a lot more forgiving. And as I mentioned on this thread on TMP, Henry Hyde has mentioned in a few articles/podcasts of the time he (as Marmont) led the French team to victory at a Salamanca refight at the WHC.

Participant

Thanks, Whirlwind. Indeed, the set-up and victory conditions are crucial, of course. As I likewise replied elsewhere, I think it has to have the initial “oh merde” moment that makes it Salamanca. Mark’s scenario has that but still leaves the French enough time and space to rectify that if they are smarter than we were and have reasonable luck on their movement dice.

I’m sure we’ll roll this out again and see the French do better next time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.