Home Forums WWII Grim Picture of Sunken U-Boat Survivors

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

The author of this topic requested their account be deleted.

This topic has been kept by attributing the original post to an admin account, and replacing the initial wording by the now deleted user with this.
    To have deleted the topic in its entirety would also have deleted the replies of others, and it is not fair that their postings be effected.

– Mike.

The trouble is if you not a Facebooker, you can’t see them.

I won’t join to see these grim shots. If I really want to see grim photographs, I’ll dig out ones of the in-Laws. 87)

donald

Participant

Not that grim. An RCAF Sunderland sunk a U-boat. Prohibited from landing to pick up survivors (too many to be able to fly, likelihood of being outnumbered and taken over), the Sunderland took a photo of the crew in their lifeboats.  The U-boat crew later died to a man of exposure before they could be picked up. So the same scenario the U-boat crew likely participated in when sinking merchantmen. War is cruel.

Participant

All the photos are available to non-Faceparkers at the excellent Uboat.net site, specifically:

http://uboat.net/boats/u625.htm

The site also gives full details of the boat’s previous career, during which she seems to have been responsible for the deaths of 214 Allied sailors. The surviving crew were unlucky enough to encounter a storm the day after their sinking.

All the best,

John.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.