Home Forums General General Hi my name is Jonathan and I'm a butterfly.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It’s true, I fly from project to project. French and Indian Wars to Cold Wars. WW1 to Croms Anvil.   Thanks for letting me share.

Participant

I am also lepidopterous. Is there one thing to which you always return? For me that is my (ever expanding) 15mm Biblical Hebrew army and associated “stuff”, despite the distractions of 15mm fantasy and 2mm VSF.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

I just flit from project to project, I’m bad that way.

I’m more of a moth, the frantic version of a butterfly.

Is there one thing to which you always return?

In a sense, all of them. I’ve pretty much exhausted the range of possible things I could be interested in (and it’s a big range), so sooner or later I always cycle around to each of them again. Oh, I’m having so much fun! 

Keymaster

One scale One setting. Has always been my way since my teens.

Participant

That’s normal wargamer behaviour. You ain’t nuthin’ special.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Hobby Attention Deficit Disorder. I work on a buncha different stuff at more-or-less the same time. That helps me avoid finishing anything. At this particular moment…

1. I’m painting the basecoat on a couple of 1/285 Italian bombers.
    2. I’m painting up a 25mm Dixon vignette of an Indian warrior scalping a Frnech soldier.
    3. Primer is drying on a couple dozen 1/285 airplanes in the garage.
    4. I just cleaned up half a dozen flight stand bases, to be spray-painted soon.
    5. I’m painting a Zvezda 1/200 Ju 52.
    6. I’m trying to salvage a crummy small model of TOS USS Enterprise that I plan to give away if I can ever properly match and patch the paint job.
    7. I’m repairing a set of 25mm ox carts that have sat in a box for far too long, so I can prime them.

That’s the stuff that got attention tonight. Last night I finished and put away some 2-dimensional 1/1200 WWII ships (bombing targets) and some 20mm WWII AFV (mix of HO and 1/72).

There’s a tray of about 100 stand of figures, 15mm and 25mm, that need to be flocked and sealed once I finish that Dixon vignette, and a couple dozen 1/285 airplanes ready to be decaled, once I finish painting that pair of Italian bombers.

So yeah kyote, it’s a way of life for me.

SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

I work on a buncha different stuff at more-or-less the same time. That helps me avoid finishing anything

And now I understand why I can never finish…

Participant

I have a will of iron. One scale (well, two if you count naval) and I finish the entire project before I start another.

Participant

What’s the opposite of a butterfly: a caterpillar? A limpet? Whichever, I’m it. I’ve found the furrow that suits me (19th century big battles – quite a deep, wide and varied furrow, mind) and plough it with focus and dedication. If limpets can plough. You know what I mean.

Not that I’m not happy to play whatever other games my clubmates are dabbling in. Just that my own projects are very tightly defined these days and I rarely get distracted by new rules or new figure ranges.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Participant

What’s the opposite of a butterfly:

Chris:

Ant.

That’s how the two extremes were characterised in Wargame Developments in the early 1980s:

Ant v Butterfly (although it had a wider focus than the number of periods/topics).

The busy, head down, work  centred Ant versus the eclectic, sample a flower here, a flower there, butterfly. I think the decision/compromise/ UN brokered armistice was that they both had merit and may well cover the same ground eventually.

But we all know which we one we are: – now, where did I leave that chrysalis?

Participant

My projects are highly defined and focussed – for a few days ! Then I’m still highly defined and focussed, just on something different.

Like many wargamers, I can’t ever seem to quite finish a project. There is always one bit that wasn’t available or that you wanted but didn’t need to play (such as 10mm bridging equipment for WW1) and you can feel ‘done’ until you have it. I still have a fair number of playable armies (usually both sides) but loads of bits and half started projects, expansions etc. that were still fun to get even that far so not wasted effort.

Single minded approach is for work, don’t want that for a hobby too.

Participant

We talked about ‘projects’ a couple of years ago – I don’t have wargame ‘projects’  as such – it’s a hobby.

I don’t need to finish things, or not finish things come to that. I do what I like, and if I want to pootle about that’s fine. If I want to devise a scenario, paint the figures, adapt/write rules and put the game on and when it’s over, I’ve finished, well that’s fine too.

And the same for all you ants and butterflies and other insect types out there, it’s all okay by me. There are many ways to skin a moggy.

Participant

I guess that I am a butterfly, in that I go back and forth with respect to what I’m actively working on, but once I start something, I tend to stick with it.

My newest Rules were written in 1985 for 20mm Vietnam, expanded/adapted for 28mm colonial adventure in 2000.  Newest period(s) is/are started in 1989/1990, near future/sci-fi/post apoc.  Newest scale/size adopted was 15mm for WII and modern in 1988.  Newest front/theater/setting is African imagi-nations in  2009, but they are an expansion of my Cold War game, using the rules that I wrote in the 1980s.

Guess I’m sort of a prehistoric butterfly.

Participant

Total butterfly.  At the moment I am working on WWW2, 3 different sci-fi settings, scratch building some 6mm starships, trying out 3mm nappies, and I just rediscovered some plastic 1/72 scale vikings over the weekend that I am attempting to forget again.

Is there one thing to which you always return?

Vietnam.  I always end up back in the jungle.  Always.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I’m a… schizophrenic ant. I’ll plod along for months on a single project, get close to completion… but not quite. Slumber for a few months. Pick up another dormant project. Plod, plod, plod. I rarely start a new project.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Lately I’ve been staying focused (more or less) on one project at a time. At least my purchasing stays focused.

But I’ve got my perpetual medieval and SYW armies and other bits from the lead pile to poke at in between or while waiting for glue to dry on the “main project”.

Of course once I’ve got enough to play a game my attention starts wandering to other potential projects. During this time I make inroads on the lead pile while I decide where to spend money for the next project!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.