Home Forums Terrain and Scenery The real reason I use static grass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So, while watching the Dvx Britanniarvm series from the Crusty Colonel on YouTube, I’ve been basing a swathe of my freshly painted figures.  I’ve developed a basing style that works for me.  Glue fine gravel, wait until it dries, then wash it with a thinned mix of glue and dark brown or black paint to both seal and hold down the gravel as well as provide shading depth.  Let it dry, and then dry brush a final light highlight and finally add clumps of static grass here and there.

And that’s when I realized “here and there” for me actually means “covering up spots where I really dry brushed horribly or blank spots where I missed putting sand”.   Instead of deloading the brush on scrap paper, I seem to use my bases to take the excess paint off!  Not sure really, perhaps it goes against my thrifty nature to put paint on a brush, only to immediately remove 90% of it as waste!

Participant

Never thought of adding colour to the glue (blush)!

Should get rid of the shine I occasionally suffer from (no on the figure base not head, well…)

Participant

I mix paint with pva glue for basing 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

and then dry brush a final light highlight and finally add clumps of static grass here and there.

Pix??

I drybrush nearly everything to death- have done so since the great demotivator of redundancy back in ’14. So economy of resources was  key motivator for some time!

I do the paint-in-glue (school water colours) sometimes- especially when using all those packs of __dry dessicants as ‘filler’ gravel and base contours. .
    -d

Swinging from left to right no matter where the hobby goes!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.